Friday, December 24, 2021

Turnabout Memories - Part 11

"I have to go over everything that's happened. I have to remember" 
Another Code R: Journey into Lost Memories

It's that time of the year again, time for that tradition of making lists for the sake of making lists! Looking back at the reviews posted on this blog this year, I'd say 2021 was a pretty good year in terms of enjoyable mystery fiction. Especially in the first half of the year I seem to have read a lot of really good detectives, and not surprisingly, a lot of them also featured supernatural elements in the plot, though that is definitely not a set condition and the final list at the end of this post also features a few books that aren't about the supernatural. I didn't really write editorials this year though because... I don't really know why. Perhaps I should make up for that next year. Anyway, as always, the categories in this post aren't really serious and I'm just writing as I look at the past posting schedule, but in case you see a post mentioned here you missed the first time, take a look! Oh, the other tradition around this time of the year is that I mention how I'm already ahead with writing reviews and probably somewhere around the summer now... but I haven't really been keeping up with writing my reviews the last few months, so while I have a lot of books I've finished already, my backlog of "reviews done but not posted yet" isn't that large anymore, so I guess I should get started on that too... With a bit of luck I'll have enough reviews done by the end of January to last me well into the second half of the year!

Best Project Outside The Blog!

Also known as the self-promotion category! Weirdly enough, two of my translations were also published last year, so I sure hope people aren't started to expect two books each year now! Anyway, Death Among the Undead has been a personal favorite ever since I read Shijinsou no Satsujin back in 2018 and after posting my review of the book, I was pleased to see that a lot of readers of the blog expressed their interest in the book. I can safely say that it has been the book that commentators on this blog wanted to see translated in English (or least: those people were the most vocal about it), so it was fun to be able to actually work on a book which so many readers of the blog had been looking forward to. If you haven't read it yet, be sure to do so, because it's a really wonderful puzzle plot mystery that shows realism isn't necessary to have fun and cleverly written detective novel. Supernatural elements have become more and more common in Japanese mystery fiction these last few years, and this book is a great example of the heights it can reach.

Which is basically the same thing I was about to write about Death of the Living Dead. This book is actually on the other end of the timeline, as it was one of the earliest, and certainly best-known mystery novels with a supernatural theme released in the earliest days of the shin honkaku writers. While the theme of the rising dead is shared between Death of the Living Dead and Death Among the Undead, they're ultimately very different books and having read either won't make the other feel less surprising. The focus in Death of the Living Dead is definitely deeper in the sense that it really examines the theme of "death" from a sociological angle, while also serving a very impressive mystery plot that seems overwhelming at first, but manages to tie everything nicely, and surprisingly together. Death of the Living Dead is personally also an interesting project because I already worked on the translation a long time ago, but due to circumstances it only got published now, so it's been a very long wait for me too. I hope readers will enjoy this one too!

One thing I can say for sure: you won't see two translations of me next year with both books having red covers and being about the theme of the living dead!

Most Interesting Non-Review Post! Of 2021!

Okay, I didn't write many non-review posts this year. I guess the only other one was the write-up I did to celebrate the release of volume 100 of Detective Conan. Doing a "real-time" playthrough of a mystery story and writing down my thoughts/questions/suspicions down before reaching the end is new for this blog however. That said, I really needed to do that for Umineko: When They Cry because each episode is about twenty hours long, and I'm sure I'd have forgotten a lot of details if I hadn't written my initial impressions down immediately after finishing each episode. I'm not sure how many readers here actually bothered to look at the notes I kept, but I thought it was an interesting experiment to also show how people (in this case: me) can approach a mystery story and how they come up with theories. Oh, I was thinking about doing something with similar with Higurashi: When They Cry next year, but I'm not really sure whether that is possible. Could somebody who has played Higurashi tell me whether I could also keep notes and try to solve the mystery beforehand, or is it not really comparable to Umineko in that regard?    

Best Premise! Of 2021!
Rakuen to wa Tantei no Fuzai nari ("Paradise is the Absence of Detectives")

With premise, I mean just having the blurb on the back of the book or something similar being enough to really rope you in, regardless of the actual execution. Mysteries with a supernatural element tend to have an advantage here, but that's definitely not a sure way to rank high on the list here. I enjoyed both Kotou no Raihousha ("Visitors on the Remote Island") and Kyoujintei no Satsujin ("The Murders in the House of Maleficence") a lot for example, but those books actually are about a mysterious, undefined being which you learn more about as you read the book, so the premise of just "something supernatural is attacking the characters" is a bit too vague to *really* pique interest based on the blurb alone. Renkinjutsushi no Shoushitsu ("The Disappearance of the Alchemist") on the other hand is a great example of a premise that sounds simple, but sounds absolutely amazing and really makes you excited to read it, as who doesn't see the potential of a detective story set in a world where they can practise alchemy? But even Mystery Arena, which is set in a realistic world, has a memorable premise, because it's about participants in a game show who all want to solve an on-going mystery story the first, never knowing whether a clue that comes later will mess up their theories or not, even if they sound really convincing at that point in the story. Ultimately, I decided to go with Rakuen to wa Tantei no Fuzai nari because the premise is amazing yet "simple": angels exist and take evil people (murderers) to hell right away. At the same time, the whole idea raises so many questions the reader will learn more about as they read on, so the premise itself is still mysterious enough, even as a simple sentence, it sounds very straightforward. 

Most Interesting Mystery Game Played In 2021! But Probably Older!

As I was looking back at the reviews I posted here, I remembered there were also a few mystery games I played this year I hadn't written anything about (yet). Like Jenny LeClue: Detectivú, a cute adventure game where you play the girl detective Jenny... and her writer Arthur Finklestein, who is forced by his editor to commit a murder in the fictional world of Arhurton where his protagonist Jenny has solved (mostly harmless) mysteries all her live. It starts to repeat puzzles in the second half and finishes with a sequel hook which I didn't really like, but it's a fun game overall. Earlier this year I also wrote about how the Switch ports for the Kibukawa Ryousuke games, which were originally released on feature phones in Japan and had been lost media for some years now. I only reviewed the first two entries, but publisher G-Mode has been pumping them out at quite the fast pace, and I've been playing all of them, and some of them are quite good. But they're so short, so I intend to discuss a couple of them in one post some time... in the future.

But back to the mystery games I played this year. Strangely enough, I played two games featuring Hercule Poirot, with one being an interesting mystery game, but without really feeling like Poirot, while the other game was not as inspired as an adventure game, but really succeeded in feeling like Poirot. Root Film was a surprising improvement over Root Letter, and I also enjoyed playing the remakes of the first two Famicom Detective Clubs. And while I usually only play video games, I have to say I was really impressed by the board game MicroMacro: Crime City too, which serves as a very interesting, visual manner to present a mystery. But the game that made the most impression on me was of course Umineko: When They Cry. You usually don't spend 70-80 hours on a mystery game, and while A LOT of that is really long-winded writing, the way Umineko retells a similar-looking story several times to make you find out connections between them is really interesting as a mystery story, and with very meta-inclusions like Red Truths, it certainly is a game worth looking at if you're at all interested in the game-like qualities of a mystery story.

Most Impressive Cover! Seen in 2021!

I usually pick book covers for this category, but I really like the box of this board game, because you can try out the mechanics of this wonderful board game just by picking this box up in the store! The box has a note that says you can already solve a case of the murdered hamburger seller, and if you look closely at the box art, you'll notice there's indeed a dead man on the cover, and by tracing him across the box art, you can find his murderer and see where they went off too, just like in the actual game itself. Technically, this cover art is just a segment taken from the bigger map of MicroMacro: Crime City, but it's a wonderful design that immediately shows you how the mystery solving works in this game even before the purchase.

The Just-Ten-In-No-Particular-Order-No-Comments List
- Kotou no Raihousha ("Visitors on the Remote Island") (Houjou Kie)
- Kyoujintei no Satsujin ("The Murders in the House of Maleficence") (Imamura Masahiro)
- Watson-ryoku ("The Watson Force") (Ooyama Seiichirou)
- Hoshifuri Sansou no Satsujin ("The Murders in the Mountain Lodges beneath the Shooting Stars") (Kurachi Jun)
- Umineko no Naku Koro ni (Umineko: When They Cry) (07th Expansion)
- FBI Renzoku Satsugai Jiken ("The FBI Serial Murder Case" in: Detective Conan 100) (Aoyama Goushou)
- Rakuen to wa Tantei no Fuzai nari ("Paradise is the Absence of Detectives") (Shasendou Yuuki)
- Yuujo no Gotoki Uramu Mono ("Those Who Resent Like The Ghostly Courtesan") (Mitsuda Shinzou)
- MicroMacro: Crime City (Johannes Sich)

16 comments :

  1. Ah I can't help but ask,is there any other works short or novel length you have translated but not published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the curiosity, but I don't comment on anything unless the publisher/client has made an announcement. Which is why I also kept silent on Death of the Living Dead for a *long* time ^_^'

      Delete
    2. Just as long as something is stewing in the pot! Death of the Living Death was a great surprise and you can look forward to my review in the first week of January. Needless to say, I loved it and precisely the kind of impetus I wanted after Death Among the Undead.

      So keep up the good work, a Merry Christmas and all the best wishes for 2022!

      Delete
    3. Have a great Christmas yourself and best wishes!

      Looking forward to the review! Glad to hear you liked to, though somewhere, I had the vague feeling that'd be the case ;)

      Delete
  2. Higurashi is less of a classic-style mystery then Umineko, and it much less conscious of Knox\Van Dine rules (I am not even sure if Ryukishi knew about them back then), but it still has tons of puzzles to solve and clues to catch, so I think keeping a memo will be a good choice!
    It was written as something that you should actively try to solve and even had phrases like "Correct answer rate 1%!" on the CD cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I will probably pick the Switch release of Higurashi Hou soon, so I'll try to do the same for that game too then!

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas and (early) happy new year!

    Your list this year seems very varied (no pun intended). Not only books and manga, but also video and even board games (which last I'll have to look out for)! It really drives home how not only can mysteries be adapted to fit into any genre, they can also fit into any form.

    It still cracks me up that two mystery novels involving zombies of one kind or another, that you translated, were released in the same year, completely unrelated to each other! XD I'm about 3/4 of the way through Death of the Living Dead (I've been deliberately going slower so as to savor it) and I'm quite impressed with how dense the puzzle is. (And the various references, like Det. Richard Tracy, are really amusing.) Death Among the Undead will have to wait until next year, as interlibrary loan proved completely unable to process it... I think it should work better this time. *fingers crossed*

    And I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Higurashi. As with Umineko, I played the first episode. It was rather more all over the place, with less polished writing, which isn't really surprising for a debut work. However, I definitely got a strong Yokomizo vibe from it (and remember reading somewhere that Yokomizo was an influence on it), and there were some interesting ideas. If you do a memo for it, I'll actually be able to follow along, as, unfortunately, thanks to the series' tendency to get injudiciously referenced all over the place, I'm pretty thoroughly spoiled on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy boxing day! And hope you'll find the ending of Death of the Living Dead rewarding ;)

      I have miraculously avoided anything that should be a spoiler for Higurashi as far as I know, as it was a game I always wanted to eventually play so I tend to look away whenever it comes up. But now I think about, I think I did play through like the very first part of the first episode many years ago, like just the first scene XD

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And a (slightly late) happy boxing day to you too!

      I just finished DotLD earlier today (having gone from "deliberately going slower" to reading 130 pages in one go ^^'), and I definitely found the ending rewarding! I enjoyed the humor and the humanistic take on the undead, but the most impressive point was of course the solution. Fittingly for a novel that quotes him so many times, it really reminded me of a Chesterton story, in that the key point to the solution was easy to miss not because it was subtle, but because it was so big, so elementally obvious, that I didn't even consider the possibility.

      Delete
    3. While Death of the Living Dead starts off really slow, things really move swiftly once you get to the second part, so I can definitely imagine reading the last part in one go ^^ Great to hear you liked it!

      Delete
  4. Higurashi has a really interesting twist for its time, by the way.

    Happy new years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the latest Conan movie, it was alright. Somewhere in the middle of the road right now but I want to rewatch it some day again, so it wasn't boring or anything.

      I also read the Kindaichi Kosuke's adventures in Honjin Murders a while ago and already forgot most of it. A lot of Japanese names being thrown around. Do I have to reread it again already, hmm...

      Delete
    2. Happy new year!

      Yeah, I don't think it's an awful Conan film, but after the previous few ones being fairly strong, Scarlet Bullet was... okay-ish.

      I just started on a Nikaidou novel, and it opens with a family tree of like twenty names XD That's hard to remember even if I'm familiar with Japanese names.

      Delete
    3. Lol I read a few books by Nikaidou and yeah, they can get confusing. The women's names tend to end with 子, and if they're relatives they tend to have similar sounding first names. Which book are you reading?

      Delete
    4. Majutsuou Jiken! Last book in the Ranko series I hadn't read yet. Though I've put it aside again for the moment to finish up some other books first (the game and book backlogs grew rather swiftly before/after New year...)

      Delete
    5. Haven't gotten to that one yet. Looking forward to your eventual review!

      Delete