Sunday, June 27, 2021

Another

Been a while since I wrote an editorial...

Last year, I wrote a post on a few original episodes of the animated series of Detective Conan, so episodes that are not based on the comic, but written especially for the anime. One episode I shortly talked about was episode 961 Glamping Kaijiken ("The Curious Glamping Incident"), which I wanted to discuss not because it was such a good mystery, but because it was absolutely insane. The story was written by Yamatoya Akatsuki, best known for his work for Gintama and this episode of Conan definitely was more focused on crazy comedy, with loads of story elements that didn't make any sense at all in the context, and just there to confuse/amuse the viewer. The animated series has been running almost non-stop since 1996, with over 1000 episodes now and while most of the episodes are in fact based on the manga, about a third of the episodes each year are anime original episodes, written by a variety of scenario writers. And these scenario writers usually have their own angles/gimmicks they like, like there was an early scenario writer who often wrote plots revolving around animals. So the anime original episodes often do feel very different from each other because of the different writers (even if they use the same basic setting/characters), so once in a while, you get an episode like episode 961 Glamping Kaijiken because they decided to go with a writer who aims to just write something completely silly.


Yesterday, on June 26th 2021, the newest episode of Detective Conan became trending on Japanese social media, because they had another of those batshit insane episodes. Episode 1010 Egao wo Keshita Idol ("The Idol Who Erased Her Smile") was written by Urasawa Yoshio, best known as chief writer for chaotic comedy series like Ranma 1/2 and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and renowned for his surreal, wacky stories. In fact, Urasawa was the mentor of Glamping Kaijiken's writer Yamatoya Akatsuki and the last few years, Urasawa has written a few Conan episodes and each time, they were considered "masterpieces" in the series because they were just so silly, making no sense at all and just being unlike a normal Conan episode in every way. I couldn't contain my curiosity, so I decided to watch all of the episodes of Urasawa just to see how insane they could be.

In terms of hilarious surprises, they certainly didn't disappoint. By the end of episode 1010 Egao wo Keshita Idol ("The Idol Who Erased Her Smile"), you'll realize it's the most unnecessary story ever, but the way the story is brought and the countless of little jokes (the Akira bike!) sprinkled throughout the visuals just make it a weirdly captivating story, that manages to hold your attention better than an "average, nondescript Conan story" would. Explaining the story would be a fruitless action, because the story is honestly very, very forgettable and yet I kept watching the episode because I never knew what kind of silly joke it would throw at me next. The same holds for other episodes written by Urasawa. Episode 997 Smile no Sato no Inbou ("The Smile Village Conspiracy", original broadcast on February 13, 2021) has cartoon stock villains and a granny who flies away in a jetpack and a old lady with a veeeeeery creepy collection and it's just a parade of surreal gags and almost Monty Python-esque comedy. Episode 976 Tsuiseki! Tantei Taxi ("The Chase! The Detective Cab", July 18, 2020) comes closest to having an actual detective plot, but also features so many story elemenets that are never explained (like two brothers who sing all their lines for no reason at all!) and like most of Urasawa's episodes, it almost feels like they were originally written for another series, but reworked for Conan. There are more by Uraswa, but each one of them is nuts.

But that got me thinking. While these comedy episodes of Conan are very unlike the normal stories in Detective Conan, especially the ones based on the stories of the manga, they still work because the anime series has always had a variety of scenario writers who provide different kind of stories, even though they all still use the same basic characters. So while these episodes won't serve as a good introduction to Conan for newcomers, they can be quite fun for veteran viewers exactly because they are so different from the norm, providing a different angle to what's supposed to be a familiar setting and cast. So I was wondering, were there other examples I could think of with different authors working on a series/established cast created by someone else, and where these other writers managed to add something substantial not present in the work of the original writer (and of course something I liked)?

My first thought went out to the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney videogame series, which was originally created and written by Takumi Shuu, but later Yamazaki Takeshi was made director and writer of a spin-off series and eventually took over the main series (being head writer of Ace Attorney 5 and 6). Personally, I think Yamazaki and his team of writers managed to come up with much more solid mystery plots than Takumi, with plots written closer in the tradition of Queen with theories being built on the currently available evidence etc and turnabouts in theories based on new evidence introduced throughout a story. Yamazaki and his team brought the series much closer to puzzle plot mysteries of modern Japanese detective fiction, and I honestly feel they managed to bring a lot to the series that the original writer hadn't done.

I guess that the Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney videogame series with varying teams working various entries, and Detective Conan as an ongoing animated series that has a history of featuring both stories based on the comic by Aoyama Goushou, and other scenario writers are a bit of an exception though. I guess when people think of "persons other than the original author tackling a mystery series" they are likely to think of either adaptations of pastiches. Which isn't exactly what I was thinking of at first, but for example, I remember I really liked how BBC's Sherlock 'translated' a lot of Sherlock Holmes staples into a modern day variant, or for example how the Ellery in the Ellery Queen television show was nothing like the Ellery from the novels but still presented an Ellery I could see working in the original novels. 

Anyway, what are some of the examples you can think of where other people get to work on an existing mystery franchise/established world/cast created by someone else, and they managed to add something or tackle the series from a completely different angle in a way that worked surprisingly well? Perhaps a different writer managed to write more interesting mystery plots with a certain premise of another author, or perhaps an adaptation that seems to surpass the original work? Or perhaps like the Conan episodes mentioned above, where someone manages to pull off something you had never expected of the franchise (positive or negative)?

15 comments :

  1. To answer your question, I've only read the first volume, but Danganronpa Kirigiri fits your description. You'd never see a Danganronpa case with 3 headless corpses with the heads swapped!

    I like the flavor Kitayama adds to the series in both Kirigiri and V3. His over the top setups and tricks are unusual to the series, yet feel right at home. If Rurijou Satsujin is any indication, I have much to look forward to in the rest of DR Kirigiri ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good one! The murders in the Kirigiri series do feel a bit different because they don't rely on an Ultimate talent like the main series usually tends to do, but they do really fit with Kirigiri as a character.

      Which reminds me Lupin III is also a franchise where I generally like the various adaptations more than Monkey Punch's original manga. Really looking forward to the new Lupin III series, with Ookura Takahiro as the supervisor of the first half of the series!

      Delete
    2. Oh, does Lupin III have mysteries? I only know what the character looks like. Any adaptations you'd recommend in particular?

      Delete
    3. Lupin III as a franchise is really strange, as each entry can be very different from another, some focusing more on adventure, some on mystery. I think the fourth television series of Lupin III (AKA The Italian Adventure) is a really good entry point if you're not very familiar with Lupin yet. It shows off the wide variety the franchise can offer, from mystery-focused episodes (where they commit some kind of impossible theft/escape), but also the more adventure-like stories the series also has.

      The upcoming sixth series (starts in October I think) will have a two part structure, with the first half of the series focusing more on mystery, so perhaps that'll be a good entry point too if you're more interested in seeing how Lupin tackles the mystery genre.

      Delete
    4. Lupin is excellent. Part 4 and 5 and the movies and specials are great.

      Delete
  2. I watched Smile no Sato no Inbou and Tsukite! Tantei Taxi, and man, they were odd. Especially Smile Village, which left a number of questions. Questions like: "why are the Detective Boys at this place without any adult seeing fit to accompany them?," "really, that's their evil plan?," and, most of all, "what did I just watch?" It was, shockingly, even weirder than Glamping Kaijiken, although, personally, I didn't find it as funny.

    Not much to say about The Chase except I think that Urasawa had watched a certain movie shortly before writing the episode. I mean, it has a pair of singing brothers, one short, one tall, who wear matching suits and sunglasses, and it ends with a big car chase and a vehicle flying through the air. If that doesn't scream Blues Brothers, I don't know what does.

    As for your question, the radio shows The Adventures of Ellery Queen and The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes come to mind. The EQ show had a somewhat more humorous and eccentric tone than the novels of the 1930s. The same can be said about the Holmes series, but the more obvious change is that, unlike Doyle's stories, the radio show was fair play, which, as much as I love the original stories, was definitely a welcome change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in case you want to try more of Urasawa's Conan, he also wrote 943 and 955 :P 

      Oh, the EQ radio show was indeed great! The tone is kinda similar to the television show now you mention it, even with semi-love interests for Ellery. Never listened to the New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes though, but I might try them as I've been drifting back to listening to radio/podcasts lately again ^^'

      Delete
    2. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but I think it'll be a while before I try watching those. I need a bit of time to recover...

      I recently started listening to old radio shows again too, and I'd forgotten how good the EQ show was. It was actually my first exposure to Queen, as the books are pretty hard to come by around here. It's pretty impressive that both the radio and TV adaptions were not only fair play, but also managed to keep such genera specific things as the challenge to the reader.

      And if you like the EQ radio show, you'll probably like the New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, as both were mostly written by Anthony Boucher. (And possibly Denis Green. They collaborated on Sherlock Holmes, but I don't know if Green wrote for Queen.)

      Delete
    3. Oh man, the series is loooong! Lessee if I can find some list of the best episodes.... :P

      Delete
    4. Yeah, it was a bit of a long runner. 'Fraid I can't really offer any suggestions, as it's been quite a while since I listened to an episode. That said, I've been thinking of just starting with the first one and listening to them in order, so I'll tell you if I come across any particularly good ones.

      Delete
  3. I believe the main person behind the Kindaichi manga swapped sometime towards the end of the original series? I daresay the later mysteries are generally stronger, though my favourite case of all time comes from the original series: 飛騨からくり屋敷殺人事件 🤩

    Incidentally, I’m starting on my newly-purchased Chinese translation of Arashi Jun’s 過ぎ行く風はみどり色. It’s close to 500 pages, and as such is much longer than the mystery novels I usually read - wish me all the best! 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant Kurachi Jun. 😓 I’m hoping the novel turns out to be as ingenious as 星降り山荘の殺人.

      Delete
    2. Arashi Jun XD Thinking of Arashi's MatsuJun?

      Yeah, originally the Kindaichi Shounen series was written by Kanari (art by Satou as always), and Amagi (Kibayashi) was the editor at Shonen Magazine. Later Amagi became the main writer, though he also got retroactively credited for "original story" for all the older stories. So if you buy volumes of the earliest stories now like Opera House or The Seven School Mysteries, you'll find the names of both Amagi/Kanari credited for "original story".

      Let me hear what you think of the Kurachi book! I haven't read anything in that series yet, but it's his longest series so it'd be nice if it's worth a read because that means I can look forward to starting on the series :P

      Delete
    3. "Arashi Jun XD Thinking of Arashi's MatsuJun?" - which may be a Freudian slip given my message was about Kindaichi as well? 😅 (I believe he was the one who took over the role of Kindaichi from Domoto Tsuyoshi...)

      Incidentally, I have a few volumes of Kindaichi 37 year old bobbing their way towards me... Which of the cases in the 37 sequence would you say is/are the strongest mysteries? 🧐

      Yes, I'll keep you posted as I plough my way through 過ぎ行く風はみどり色. It will take some time before I reach the endpoint, I suspect! 🏃🏻

      Delete
    4. I think the 37 series started strong and that it's only the last two, three stories that have been a bit average/not bad per se, but not especially memorable, though for example I thought the new murders in the Foreigner's Hotel were "just" okay on their own, but still interesting for fans because it brought Hajime back to the place where he solved the Red Santa case. I read volume 10 earlier this week by the way, with Fumi returning and that's a fun case so far, but it concludes in volume 11, so no review for the moment ^^'

      Delete