Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The Landing Ticket

朝だ始発だ電車が走る
5時半発の埼京線 
遙か遠くの会社を目指し
今日も電車が走る

It's morning /  The first train / The train is running
The 05:30 of the Saikyo-Line
On my way to the company faraway
The train is running today too
「電車で電車でGO!GO!」(Junkie As Machine/Zuntata)

I try to read at least one novel a year (partially) set in the city of Fukuoka. The first review of last year was Gekisou Fukuoka Kokusai Marathon - 42.195 Kilo no Nazo for example. I started with today's book because the summary mentioned Fukuoka as part of the alibi, but sadly enough, the reader doesn't actually get to visit the city themselves and the few mentions to the city are pretty sober. Ah well, I'll still count this as my 'one-in-a-year' as the story, at one point, does revolve slightly around specific Fukuoka geography.

Disclosure: I have translated Arisugawa Alice's The Moai Island Puzzle.

One morning, Yukari receives a call from the police with horrible news: her older sister Megumi (her only living relative) was found murdered in her holiday villa near Lake Yogo, just north of Lake Biwa. Megumi and her husband were to stay there a few days starting the day before, but business had prevented Shinichi from leaving his antique shop, and Megumi, who had arrived at the villa early, would spend the first night alone at the lake. She was murdered the following morning, and the police had discovered her body thanks to an anonymous phone call. Because her life insurance seems rather extravagant, the police and Yukari suspect that Shinichi killed his own wife with the help of his twin brother Kenichi, but the twins have perfect alibis: on the morning of Megumi's murder, Shinichi recalled he had an earlier made business appointment, and he took the Shinkansen train south to Fukuoka to meet with a collector there. Twin brother Kenichi too had been on a business trip that morning, travelling by train all the way up north to Sakata in Yamagata. Both arrived at their destinations in the afternoon, and several witnesses confirm having seen the two men at their respective routes at various points like the station. Yukari confides her suspicions about her brother-in-law with the mystery author Sorachi Masaya, a mutual friend of both Megumi and Shinichi, and Megumi's former boyfriend during college. Together they hire a private detective, who can't seem to find anything suspicious about Shinichi. The investigation runs into a wall until several months later, another body is found at the Lake Yogo villa. Another anonymous phone call leads the police to a body with the head and hands removed. The police is quite sure that the body belongs to either Shinichi or Kenichi, but both men have disappeared and it's impossible to tell which brother the body belongs to.

Magic Mirror (1990) is the third full-length novel by Arisugawa Alice, after Gekkou Game (1989) and The Moai Island Puzzle (1989). It was also his first novel that wasn't part of any series, and while I have read quite a lot by Arisugawa by now, it took me until now to read a non-series work by him. While his first two novels were clearly written in the spirit of Ellery Queen and the school that puts emphasis on logical reasoning, Arisugawa's third outing takes inspiration from F.W. Crofts, Ayukawa Tetsuya and (early) Matsumoto Seichou, being a mystery revolving around uncrackable alibis and an emphasis on time tables. In fact, like often seen in Ayukawa and Matsumoto's work, we actually have real train time schedules featured in this book. It's one of the elements that set Magic Mirror apart from the two earlier novels starring the student Alice, which are patterned after the more fanciful "good old closed circle on an isolated island/area closed off after a volcano eruption" tropes, while Magic Mirror is a a bit more realistic in tone (don't worry, it's still a puzzle-oriented mystery).

The first half of the novel revolves around the attempts of various parties trying to figure out whether Shinichi on his own, or with the help of his twin brother, killed Megumi and by extension, how they managed to have a perfect alibi for the time of the murder. Shinichi seems the most suspicious at first, but witnesses have seen him purchasing a ticket to Hakata Station, buying gifts at the station and he arrived in time at his business relation's place in the afternoon and a similar story holds for Kenichi. A large part of this mystery is solved early on in the novel by one of the characters, though the theory is still imperfect due to the existence of one piece of evidence. Due to that, the character has to abandon their theory for the moment, but this final hurdle is actually relatively easy to solve for the reader. While you can solve it "in a perfect" manner by actually examining the time schedules etc. included closely, I bet most people can instinctively make a good guess about how that piece of evidence was cooked (and check afterwards with the schedules). So this part is a bit easy, because a good part of the trick is already presented to the reader early on, while that last step is not as hard as the story pretends it to be. This murder feels the most 'realistic' in the sense that a lot of the mystery revolves around real time tables of means of transportations and real Fukuoka geography, so if you liked Matsumoto's Points and Lines, you'll feel right at home here.

The second murder, of the unknown decapitated body, is a lot more interesting though. What is interesting about Magic Mirror is that it starts off telling you there are twins involved. Usually, you'd think having twins in a story about a perfect alibi would be very, very cheap. In Magic Mirror, even knowing twins are involved doesn't mean you'll instantly figure out how Megumi was killed, and the plot device of the twins is turned upside down in the second half of the novel, when we are presented with a body which belongs to one of the twins, but you don't know which. This part is a bit more engaging: there's a part where Sorachi is convinced the man suspected by the police must be innocent, so he tries to find evidence to support that man's flimsy alibi of having been drinking at various places on the night of the murder. This part features a small, but nicely foreshadowed trick hidden within the man's testimony about his movements. But the murder on the unknown victim itself also proves to be an interesting murder: it makes fantastic use of the notion of twins, utilizing them in a very original manner to do something. I can't say too much because that would spoil the game, but I really like how the culprit used the fact that Shinichi en Kenichi were twins to completely befuddle the police investigation. I also like the one slip-up the murderer made that forced their hand as a concept, but as it was used here, it did feel like a bit too much coincidence: the murderer would have made a pretty brilliant plan for the murder, but goofed up at rather silly and trivial moments.

I have mentioned this novel before in this blog, as this novel is probably best known for its Alibi Lecture in the penultimate chapter and in my post on taxonomies/typologies/lectures, I made a short translation of the points raised in that Alibi Lecture. The Alibi Lecture is of course inspired by Doctor Fell's Locked Room Lecture, but the funny thing is that this is actually a lecture: Sorachi is invited by a college mystery club to hold a lecture on the Alibi Lecture he wrote in one of his novels, and in this chapter, Sorachi explains the types of tricks used in mystery novels to create a perfect alibi. Like in most novels featuring such trope lectures, it's an implied Challenge to the Reader to see if they can guess what kind of trick this particular novel is using, and perhaps even guess if this book is using a completely new type of solution. The Moai Island Puzzle featured a short Dying Message Lecture by the way. Obviously, both murders use some kind of alibi trick, and I don't consider it really spoilers to say that Arisugawa has of course come up with variations that are original on their own, and like it should be, the Lecture functions as both a solid clue to the reader (as it helps people not familiar with these types of stories), as a clever piece of misdirection (diverting the reader's attention by onlylisting what is seemingly possible, while pointing away from the actual solution).

Usually when I finish a novel, I have a fairly good idea of what I actually think of the story, and that also influences how I write the review. With Magic Mirror, I have to admit I was less enthusiastic about it when I first finished it, but as I am writing this review the following day, I notice I'm a lot more positive about the book now. While I think the final 'obstacle' in solving Megumi's murder is far easier than the book pretends it to be, I find that Magic Mirror does a really good job at utilizing the themes of the perfect alibi and twins in mystery fiction: it poses alluring mysteries to the reader that incorporate the fact we all know twins are involved and the second murder especially is interesting because of that. The result is a novel that keeps up a good pace from start to finish and which should entertain fans of the perfect alibi story.

Original Japanese title(s): 有栖川有栖『マジックミラー』

8 comments :

  1. My thoughts are kind of disorganized, but this book has two features that really interest me. The first is that real railway timetables were used. It's weird to think that a trick utilizing them might actually have worked, presenting the disconcerting, albeit (hopefully) unlikely, possibility that someone might have read the book and felt inspired to try it for themselves. I find the image of a writer pouring over actual timetables trying to plot the perfect fictional murder to be strangely amusing.

    The other aspect of this book that sounds really interesting is the alibi lecture. I probably shouldn't say sounds, as I've read your translation of it before, but the added context makes it even more interesting. I've always enjoyed lectures in mystery novels, from the classic subject of locked rooms to the more obscure ones like the cyanide lecture in The Problem of the Green Capsule. (One fun example was from Boucher's Nine Times Nine where one of the detectives went through Carr's lecture, only to find that the murder he was trying to solve didn't fit in any of the categories.) I never really noticed how they could act as misdirection by distracting you with all of the possibilities. I'll have to keep an eye out for that, next time I come across one.

    This is entirely unrelated, but I believe Houjou Kie's new book came out a couple of days ago. (Don't have the foggiest notion of what it's about, and knowing that you're going in blind, I wouldn't say anything even if I did.) I can honestly say that I've never before been this excited about the release of a book that I can't even read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most famous use of actual train schedules in Japanese fiction is from Matsumoto's Points & Lines, Arisugawa even has a Student Alice short story named after that plot point.

      Huh, I've only listened to the audio drama of The Problem of the Green Capsule, but I never knew there was a cyanide lecture there! The Toujou Genya series have been pretty awesome with its disappearance/decapitation/nursery rhyme lectures, but they are definitely also used there to confuse the reader about what trick is actually being used by giving too many options that don't seem to fit :P

      Yep, also really looking forward to Houjou's newest book! I'm still thinking about what to throw in my final book order for the year (there were a few manga/novel releases lately I actually hadn't expected to see this period), but I'll get to the Houjou novel soon and hopefully get the review out early in the new year.

      Delete
    2. As it turns out, I was slightly mistaken. The lecture is about poisoners, but early on in the book is a chapter filled with information about caynide (how it's made, what it's used for, different kinds, difficulty of obtaining, etc). I seem to have confused the two, but that chapter really reminded me of a lecture when I read it. I'm a bit of a chemistry nerd though, so I'm not surprised that it stuck more in my mind than the actual lecture.

      Oh dear, yet another reason to be interested in the Toujou Genya series. That series (and Kubinashi no Gotoki Tataru Mono in particular) have been the novels that I most want to read ever since I first read about them. To the point that knowing that Kubinashi was probably not going to be translated any time soon was one of the reasons that I first started studying Japanese. (Unfortunatly this blasted pandemic has put a hold on that.) Now I'm even more excited to eventually read them.

      I'm kind of curious how you order Japanese novels. Here in the US they're very expensive (as in $20-$30 for a single bunkobon unless you're very lucky). At any rate, I look forward to your review. They always provide food for thought, especially when I can't read the book in question. (Which also provides lots of motivation to keep studying Japanese. :)

      Delete
    3. Well, I can see why they'd cut the more indepth discussion on cyanide away in an audio drama, would probably be a bit boring ^_~ And now I wonder what they did in The Hollow Man audio drama adaptation...

      I've been buying digital more often lately, but for physical books, I just try to get the slowest/cheapest shipping option (living near a hub means the slowest method is still *pretty* fast), and I order a few books in one go to spread the shipping costs.

      You know, it's also very motivating for me to see how these reviews sometimes turn out to help the readers here. I have seen people here who are learning Japanese and leave me a message when they finally managed to read their first Higashino or Ace Attorney novel on their own based on the review, there are people like Jonathan below who have access to translations in various languages like Chinese who can chime in, others can only read English and are thrilled when a book finally is finally available in English...

      Delete
  2. Could I say what a coincidence it is that you mention the decapitation lecture in 首無の如き祟るもの - because I just finished the novel, and wanted to let you know. But I was also wondering how I could post a message about it in a blog post about a different novel... 😅

    I was a little anxious starting the novel as I tend to fare poorly with mystery novels that go beyond 300 pages. But the ending was definitely worth it. I latched upon the central conceit quite early on, but the crimes were sufficiently intricate that I couldn’t turn my speculation into a proper hypothesis. And the stacking of different sorts of twists towards the end was impressive...!

    I have two questions:

    Jnf vg ernyyl Gbwbh Traln jub pbasebagrq gur zheqrerff va gur svany puncgre? Fur frrzrq gb guvax vg zvtug unir orra gur freinag obl vafgrnq. Nyfb, nz V evtug va guvaxvat gur guebng-phggvat frevny xvyyvatf va gur zvqqyr bs gur obbx jnf abg tvira shegure rkcynangvba: nf gb jul gur cbyvpr bssvpre pbzzvggrq gurfr xvyyvatf, naq jub uvf ivfvgbe jnf gur qnl ur pbzzvggrq fhvpvqr?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, even without me mentioning the decapitation lecture, you could've just made a bridge with "hey, this book has an alibi lecture. That reminds me..." ;)

      Glad you found the ending worth it! It's such a tricky novel because everything is connected in a way, so even if you have an idea of what's going on, it's dificult to see how it all connects to the other parts.

      Kubinashi no Gotoki Tatataru Mono ROT13 spoilers: Ab, vg jnfa'g Traln uvzfrys, gur erny Traln bayl nccrnef rneyl ba va gur abiry, va gur genva fprar jura ur naq uvf frzcnv trg bss rneyl. Naq lrnu, gung yvggyr cneg nobhg Traln'f sngure fbyivat gur fynfuvatf jnf whfg n fznyy ubeebe-vfu cneg gung fgbbq ba vgf bja. Gur abiryf va guvf frevrf hfhnyyl nyy unir frtzragf urer naq gurer gung vaibxr n ubeebe/fhcreangheny fgbevrf, gung qba'g trg rkcynvarq va qrgnvy ng gur raq (va guvf pnfr, vg'f nyfb fhttrfgrq gur jbzna jnfa'g rira erny orpnhfr abobql ryfr fnj ure. Creuncf gur pbc jnf whfg znq). Gurfr frtzragf ner abg vagregjvarq jvgu gur pber zlfgrel cybg, naq gur nhgube arire ernyyl fnlf bhg ybhq vg'f tubfgf, ohg ur nyjnlf yrgf ebbz bcra gung gurer ernyyl zvtug or fbzrguvat fhcreangheny bhg gurer, whfg abg jura vg pbzrf gb gur pber pnfr.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I could have found a way to talk about 首無の如き祟るもの - but I had already did that once when I wanted to share that I'd just finished 屍人荘の殺人. 😜

      I mention 屍人荘の殺人 because that was the other recommendation I gleaned from your blog that impressed me. More specifically, both 屍人荘の殺人 and 首無の如き祟るもの managed to adapt a well-worn trick from the Golden Age in a fresh way, though I think 屍人荘の殺人 pulled it off in a more significant and therefore successful way. [ROT13 spoiler: Gung vf, gur Ebtre Npxeblq gevpx bs na haeryvnoyr aneengbe vzcyvpngrq va gur pevzr. Obgu abiryf znantrq gb oevat n serfu fcva gb guvf gevpx, ohg gur gevpx vgfrys jnf zber vagrteny gb gur fbyhgvba sbe 屍人荘の殺人 guna 首無の如き祟るもの.]

      I think I'm going to try more entries in the 刀城言耶 series. From my recollection, am I right in thinking the only other novels that come close to 首無の如き祟るもの in quality are 水魑の如き沈むもの and 山魔の如き嗤うもの, and possibly 凶鳥の如き忌むもの? I don't usually like reading short stories, but these novels are so long that I feel inclined to pick up 生霊の如き重るもの.

      Thanks for replying to my questions; here's my response in ROT13:

      Lrnu, V tbg gur vzcerffvba gung 刀城言耶 bayl ernyyl nccrnerq qhevat gur genva wbhearl, gbtrgure jvgu uvf sevraq jub ngr nyy bs gur cbyvpr bssvpre'f znaqneva benatrf - naq gung gur 刀城言耶 ng gur raq jnf gur freinag obl va qvfthvfr. Ohg va juvpu pnfr pna gur abiry ernyyl or pynffvsvrq nf n zlfgrel fbyirq ol 刀城言耶? Gur guebng-phggvat frevny xvyyvatf frrzrq fbzrjung enaqbz nf na vapyhfvba va gur abiry - rfcrpvnyyl fvapr ab erny be shegure yvtug vf furq ba gurz ng gur raq.

      Delete
    3. I'd definitely go with 山魔の如き嗤うもの and 水魑の如き沈むもの first. Especially 山魔の如き嗤うもの, because that actually tells the story about where Genya went in the train as mentioned in Kubinashi XD

      Kubinashi ROT13: Lrnu, vg'f n ovg jrveq orpnhfr Xhovanfuv jnf zl svefg Traln gbb, ohg ur qbrfa'g ernyyl qb zhpu va guvf abiry :C Cebonoyl zber n fhecevfr sbe gur crbcyr jub unq ernq gur frevrf ba beqre, ohg rira fb, V jnf fgvyy hggreyl fubpxrq ol gung gjvfg ^^ Naq lrc, zbfg bs gur Traln abiryf jvyy unir ubeebe cnegf gung bayl unir fbzr zvabe pbaarpgvba gb gur znva fgbel (va guvf pnfr, 'guebng-fyvpvat') ohg gung erznvaf n ovg inthr. 水魑の如き沈むもの fgnegf bhg irel fybjyl gbb, naq nyfb srngherf n ubeebe fgbel gung hygvzngryl vfa'g ng nyy eryngrq gb gur znva cybg.

      Delete