Monday, October 26, 2009

「DOUBT。 一億円」

「そうか。最後の食事か。。。牛丼も食べられない。親子丼も食べられない。カツ丼も食べられない。餃子も食べられない。麻婆豆腐も食べられない。ニラレバ炒めもチャーシューメンもお寿司も焼肉もオムライスもウナ丼もチャーハンもおせんべいもみそ汁も豚汁もアンドーナツもクリームシチューもカレーライスもハヤシライスもおにぎりもたくあんもケバラも肉マンも杏仁豆腐も北京ダックもコーヒーゼリーもズワイガニも焼きソバもくず切りも焼きプリンもウニ焼きも塩辛もカツオのたたきも潮汁もハンバーグもステーキもうまか棒も酢昆布も。。。」、高野聖也、『喰いタン』

"
My last meal, so I won't be able to eat gyuudon anymore. I won't be able to eat oyakodon anymore. I won't be able to eat katsudon anymore. I won't be able to eat gyouza anymore. No mabo toufu, no nirarebaitame, no char siu men, no o-sushi, no yakiniku, no omuraisu, no unadon, no chahan, no o-senbei, no miso soup, no tonjiro, no an-donuts, no cream stew, no curry rice, no hayashi rice, no onigiri, no takuan, no nikuman, no annintoufu, Peking duck, no coffee jelly, no snow crab, no yakisoba, no kuzukiri, no yaki-purin, no uniyaki, no sukonbu, no katsuo no tataki, no ushiojiro, no hamburger, no steak, no umakabou, no sukonbu...", Takano Seiya, "Kuitan"

Captain's log. Heisei 21/10/26. Still haven't found normal sized gyouza yet. Getting desperate. Those midget-sized things don't taste bad or something like that, but you pay way more for way less compared to normal gyouza. Must control anger. Fukuoka is apparently known outside of Kyuushuu for its food. Not for its small gyouza though. Yatai however are a famous attraction of Fukuoka.


Around seven in the evening, small carts start to appear downtown, which actually are moveable kitchens. Yes, yatai are moveable mini-restaurants, most of them selling ramen and oden. While yatai are also to be found outside of Fukuoka, the sheer number and the mood is quite different from other places. Whereas the Tokyo yatai are ususally visited by drunk salarymen, the Fukuoka yatai are visited by tourists as well as the normal Fukuoka inhabitants. Or as Naganuma's Koyama-sensei said on Fukuoka yatai, 'even women eat at yatai here'. Tried it once now and while it tasts good and the mood is quite nice and homely, I have a feeling it's also sort of a tourist trap, as I left the place having spent more money than I would have expected from a yatai. For the same money, I've had more at Ippudo.

In other news, the first two weeks of class have finally ended. At the moment, we have JLCC-exclusive classes (classes meant to improve use of the language through a study of the Japanese language and Japanese culture), Japanese language classes (for all international students) and for some, faculty classes (which for me is Ancient Greek 2).

After the placement tests for the Japanese language classes, we all got a short consultation session with the head of the JLCC program, and while I placed around the level I expected myself to be, it never can be a good sign when the consultation begins with "I think you know few kanji. For a Chinese. So I'd like you to take Kanji-7." Which apparently is also the Japanese language class with the most homework, which after two weeks me and my recently demised right hand will believe instantly. Still trying to revive it for this weeks homework.

Greek is getting more fun though every week. The stuff we do is probably second-year/third year Greek in the Netherlands, but I really don't remember a thing anymore. The teacher randomly inserts English in his explanations now (I suspect for me, though he uses English texts too), everybody thinks my Ancient Greek pronouncation is fluent and just reading the story of the Minotauros in Greek and then translating it to Japanese is so much fun. And hard! Whereas at times I might know 4, 5 different ways to translate the same thing in Dutch or English, I usually only know 1 or 2 ways to translate something in Japanese. I don't have any Writing classes now, but this helps a lot.

And after two weeks of class, there is one thing I really really have to mention about the Hakozaki campus, but that has to wait as I am working on a horrors of the Hakozaki campus post.

No comments :

Post a Comment