Wednesday, October 7, 2009

『風のラララ』

Wishing on a dream that seems far off
Hoping it will come today
Into the starlit night
Foolish dreamers turn their gaze
Waiting on a shooting star
But, what if that star is not to come?
Will their dreams fade to nothing?

"Winds Nocturne",
Lunar: Silver Story

Yes, the typhoon did hit Kyuushuu, but Fukuoka's been pretty safe for now. It's more like a windy autumn day in the Netherlands and a lot better to bear compared to the usual 'wet' hotness here. Guess I won't have to put the skills learned at my second disaster training in use. Which was strange in two ways. One was that disaster training here was a lot more relaxed compared to the one I did in Tokyo. No crazy computers saying you died when trying to escape a fire and apparently, you don't need to hide under a table when in an earthquake, a cushion on your head is enough. You'd think they'd at least instruct the same way all across Japan. The second surprise was that Dutch tourists joined our group at the disaster training complex, on their last day in Japan. The teacher (of the university) actually made me translate for them.

Classes haven't started yet, so most of the time till now was spent doing countless of procedures as registrating for a foreign registration card and getting a cell phone. And finding the perfect solution to my forgetfullness (this is going to save my life. I can feel it). And riding recklessly on my bike. I don't think there are actual rules for riding a bicycle here, you don't even have to stay on one particular side it seems, so I just try to blend in with the other reckless riders. When in Rome. Though I can't really seem to get used to riding on the sidewalk.

Oh, and the Hakozaki campus of Kyushu University has to be the ugliest campus ever. And I've studied at the VU University for three years. Guess that's the difference between a private and a public university. I can so understand the recurring motive of the 'haunted school building' in Japanese detectives now. I won't even try to make pictures. Except for maybe the really rundown building with birds nesting in it and just looking like it came out of a comic of GeGeGe no Kitarou.

I should so make a 'horrors of Fukuoka' photo series, starting with The Birds and the haunted mansion. And Istart writing about detective fiction again.

1 comment :

  1. I hope the typhoon alarm is going to be activated tomorrow morning. I don't really feel like going to school tomorrow.

    How much was your bike? Got mine for free. I'm going to get a cellphone soon from Softbank. We should call soon.

    My school campus looks great and lotsa pretty girls around here. I hope yours has pretty girls too. :P

    ReplyDelete