Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Turnabout Corner

「望まなければ失わないのに求めずにはいられないよ」

"If you don't hope for it, you won't lose it either, but still, I can't stop looking."

Garnet Crow, 夢みたあとで ("After seeing my dream")

Resisting the urge to go insane and attack people, I arrived around 22:30 at the dorm without any sleep for more than 30 hours, so I was grateful that the dorm representative who was helping me with forms and explaining the dorm rules was from Hong Kong, so I could use Cantonese instead of Japanese which would have been too much for me at that time. Having finally found a bed, I didn't care there were no cushions and sheets and collapsed.


The next day, I actually looked at my room. It's quite a lot bigger than the Weekly Mansion room in Tokyo (not very difficult) and quite nice actually. There's even a strange bookcase contraption reminding me of a monstrously expanding bookcase a friend of my has, and the shelves seem to ask me to fill them with books. I will try. Water is somewhat strange though, my shower seems to have only two options: a waterfall of near boiling water, or two drips of cold water. And I am happy to say that though the dorm only offers internet in the computer room in the main building, my block and room is just close enough to pick up the signal of the wireless router there.

The direct neighbourhood of Kashiihama is quite boring though, being a residential area. While there is a gigantic mall just behind the dorm, there's not much else here. Lots of apartments and an uncanny amount of primary schools to be found around the corner, but almost no restaurants (the one sentence you wouldn't expect to say in Japan) and just two bookshops.


But, there is a beach behind the dorm. And mountains somewhere in the background. The nature theme seems to extend itself throughout the ward, with lots of walking paths and small parks. And then there's the amusement park.


And the Mishima torii, which looks quite nice in the water.


And for some reason or another, every night hundreds of birds in front of the Yamada Denki (and only in front of the Yamada Denki, nowhere else) perform a live action play of Hitchcock's The Birds. Seriously, birdwatching is one thing, but birds watching you is creepy. The sound of the birds went through my earplugs, being louder than my music and louder than the cars on the express way beneath them. I ran back to my room.

2 comments :

  1. "...being a residential area. While there is a gigantic mall just behind the dorm, there's not much else here. Lots of apartments and an uncanny amount of primary schools to be found around the corner, but almost no restaurants."

    That sounds eerily similar to my dorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room looks quite spacious compared to mine. I'll try and make photo's of my room soon. Think I'll go to Umeda this Saterday or Sunday to buy a camera.

    No restaurants? I feel so sorry. Here at Izumi there are plenty of places where I can have dinner. I usually go to a not so great restaurant at a Pachinko hall where I can get some grub for 180 yen and it's near school.

    And I dunno what's more annoying. Constantly hearing that annoying kidsvoice yelling "YAMADA DENKI!" every fricking minute, or hearing the songs of contemplating birds? I would seriously prefer those birds over the Yamada Denki tune anytime.

    ReplyDelete